Friday, June 29, 2007

The Pinnacles

Im still in Mulu National Park, but have taken a boat with three British army guys 1hr up the river from the park HQ. From here we trekked 8km through the muddy rain forest to Camp 5. Camp 5 is a researcher station built some 30yrs ago to host researchers in the field, but also tourists. Every year new species are found! The trek was through muddy rain forest we reached Camp 5 after 1hr and 50 minutes which, according to our guide, was quite fast! I think I pulled off 5 leeches before we reached the camp. Luckily it didn’t rain which make the leeches more active. I think it rained 80% of the time the last 3 days! I guess its why its called a Rain forest…

Driving up the river to our drop off point
Getting off at nowhere in the jungle
Once we arrived Camp 5 we were welcomed by a swarm of bees. It is bee season over here now and they are attracted by the salt in our sweat. I don’t think anyone got a sting, but its quite stressful to have 20 salt-horny bees around you while you try to eat some noodles! We had to wash the clothing in the river and put on some clean clothes (CLEAN???) to sort of try avoid them. I found my mosquito net the best protection. As I wrote in the previous letter everything is big here in Borneo, and some of the bees looked like a little bird if you ask me!
Trekking to Camp 5 through the dense jungle full of leeches
Trekking to Camp 5, luckily some simple bridges over the worst

Map of Camp 5 and surroundings
Camp 5 - research station in the jungle

At camp 5 there is very simple facilities. You have to bring your own food and cook it yourself. Mutton curry on can and noodles!

The army boys having a swim in the river (cold!)

Leech sucking my blood, pulled off a few of these. This one fat of my blood.

Giant insects in Borneo, here a grasshopper. Bit sceptic

 The next day we got up early, about 6.30am, to start the trek to the Pinnacles. The trek is basically straight up a hill. From sea level to 1750 meters altitude in 2.4km. For every 1 meter that is 1.3 meter up in average! There was no flat parts! The path is difficult and covered with roots in all sized and razor sharp limestone!

It was a tough climb throug the jungle and razor sharp limestone. Every step had to be extra careful to not cut yourself or worse. Did I mention poisonous snakes?

If you ever been in the jungle it's hot and humid and climbing 1750m in 3hrs is hard. You loose a lot of hydration and I filled up with dehydration powder and eating lots of energy bars to cope with it.

One person has died and each year several people get injured on this trek! The last 400 meters to the top was basically straight up! With the help of 14 ladders and several ropes we got up there! I have to say this is some of the hardest things I have ever done, if not the worst! The difficult and steep trek aside, its also very hot and you have to carry a lot of water and some energizer snack (Snickers!). I was also drinking dehydration powder as I was sweating a lot and used a lot of energy. The “walk” to the top took 3hrs and the sight that awaited us was spectacular!

The Pinnacles - Amazing sight!
Yes! Made it - first man up too!

The group at the top


The Pinnacles is a forest of razor sharp limestone carved out by the rain and unlike anything in the world! The way down was even harder than going up. I thought I would never make it and I was soooo tired in my knees and legs. We also run out of water. I was just walking from tree to tree and couldnt care less if I stepped on a Cobra snake! 2.4km may not sound much, but when you walk straight up&down, its a lot! We used 3.5hrs down and that day we climbed in total 3500meters in 6.5hrs! I drank 5 cans of Coke when I got down and ate two dinners

View from the top of the mountain over Mulu National Park - 1750m above sea level

No comments:

Post a Comment